The recipe for Savoy Cake
The Savoy cake is a biscuit, which has the particularity of being exceptionally soft. The recipe dates back to the 14th century and was developed by the pastry chef of the Count of Savoy. It was in the 18th century that pastry chefs had the idea of replacing flour with starch to make it even more fluffy!
Ingredients of the Savoy Cake for 6 people:
- 60g of flour
- 60g of potato starch
- 165 g of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 pinch of salt
Preparation of the Savoy Cake
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Put the egg yolks in a salad bowl, add the sugar and whisk vigorously for 5 minutes.
- Gradually add the flour to the mixture, then the starch, while mixing well
- Put the salt in the egg whites and turn them into a firm snow. Then gently incorporate the whites into the dough, turning from bottom to top so as not to break them! This is the secret to having a well-assembled and soft Savoy cake.
- Pour the dough into a buttered pastry bag and bake in an oven preheated to 170 ° for 30 minutes.